Fallen Leaves

(Blazer: my mom's, Blouse: J.Crew, Bow: J.Crew, Shorts: French Connection, Lace-Up Heels: Nine West, Bag: Mulberry, Watch: Fossil, Glasses: Warby Parker)

This outfit, which I wore for my full day of Teen Vogue Fashion University festivities, has become of my favorites because of how it came to be. Before going to New York this time, I tried to pack smart. I preplanned every outfit, rather than just throwing piles and piles of my favorite pieces into my suitcase to then figure everything out once I got there, which is my usual method, and, I have to say, not a very good one. I had not intended to wear any of this, but out of a night-before-the-big-day-panic, completely rerouted. Because I can't seem to stray too far from my ways, I just happened to throw in this shirt (that's actually my mom's) and, randomly, this silk scarf (which, now thinking back, was originally a belt) that I haven't worn, or even thought about, in years. I started with the black shorts and navy pinstripe blazer. I knew one thing, it was going to be a extremely long, fast-paced day, and I was up for anything except having to deal with fussy clothing. I thought these two pieces were very strong on the style spectrum, but also allowed me to get around NYC in a timely and efficient manner, which was key for the day. Like I said, I stole this shirt from my mom (she also ended up liking this outfit so much that it looks like I might just get to keep it - win!), which I decided to pair with the shorts and oversized blazer. At this point in the outfit, I was completely stumped. Everything seemed to be heading in a good direction, but not quite there yet. Stylist's block (did I just make that up?)... I'm here to say it is very much a real thing. Anyway, in the midst of my frustration, I had somewhat of a, um... fashion epiphany? Whatever it was, I was suddenly hit with the idea to tie the green silk scarf/belt around my neck like a massive bow-tie. And there, you go. After that, I loved the outfit so much more than any preconceived ideas of what I had originally intended to wear. To finish off the look, I threw on my patent leather oxford heels for some pizazz. Because patent=pazazz, always. I decided to go with a black shoe so that the entire outfit remained dark, allowing the green bow to really be the focal point. Also, it seems that red lipstick has become as much of a staple for me as wearing shoes, in general. Because this was a day spent sitting in seminars given by many of fashion's finest, I was determined to absorb all of the advice and information flowing. To help the cause, I wore my glasses to seem extremely knowledgable and intent on learning... or at least to convince myself that I was. I have to say, I spent the entire day enthusiastically jotting down every single piece of wisdom the speakers had to offer, so come to think of it, maybe the glasses did work. 

You may also like:

2 comments

  1. What a well planned outfit! You look very sharp and I love the creativity you used to turn the random belt in a bow. So perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are too cute! love this. your glasses and red lippy suit you.

    formphantasm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© Styles by Hannah Riles. Design by MangoBlogs.